Saturday, May 19, 2012

What is your mission field?

Jim Elliot, the famous missionary who was killed in the service of the gospel once said
"wherever you are, be all there."
I've been thinking a lot about this over the past few weeks and praying that wherever I am I would keep my eyes fixed on what God has given me at that moment and in this place so I don't miss the opportunities at hand because I'm too busy looking towards the next place I want to get to. I've made that mistake too many times. I've missed out on so many opportunities that God has given me because I was too busy wishing I was somewhere else. "Wherever you are, be all there."

 God has given each of us a mission: He has commanded us to spread his word, his gospel, to the ends of the earth. He has given us each a mission field: EXACTLY where you are at any given moment. Every second is a second towards eternity, every second is a second towards someone's eternity in heaven or hell, every second, every place, is your mission field. This is a fundamental concept and yet so easily forgotten.

 I arrived home, at my parents house, a few days ago, they just moved to a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, Montana. I've never even visited a town this small and I catch myself wishing I was somewhere else, DOING something else than killing time and doing seemingly meaningless things. But God has a mission for me even here and the more I recognize that the more I am blessed in indescribable ways. I pray every day that God's will would be done in my life this summer - wherever he chooses to place me. I pray that support would come in so I can go to California, if that is his will. I want that so bad. Questions swirl around in my head, wondering if I'll raise support in time or if I'll be somewhere else this summer, and if so where and how? BUT,in this time of waiting and unknown God is whispering in my ear "wherever you are, be all there, Jessalynn" and verses like Matthew 6:25-34
"25“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his lifeb? 28“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
God has a mission field for me right where I am at, in this tiny town in Montana - for however long he wants me here - and I am finding my mission field in some of the smallest things. I don't know how long I will be here, and there are many unanswered questions but God has placed me here for "such a time as this" and I am finding such sweet rest knowing that he is in control. Please pray for me that God would continue to draw my heart closer to him and that my eyes would forever be exactly where he has placed me.

On a side note, one unexpected blessing God has given me here is rest and nourishment for my body. It seems simple but it's amazing how getting good, consistent, sleep for the first time in probably two years and eating good food - as opposed to college food - has really rejuvenated my body and my health problems have gotten so much better. I have so much more energy and I'm realizing how much I have previously been running myself into the ground. I really am not being all God wants me to be when I'm not giving my body what it needs to be all that he created it to be. God is good. He gives what we don't even know we need sometimes.

I am so blessed to have you all supporting me.Thank you for reading, I know I can get kind of lengthy when I write haha.

One last question today, for all of you: What is your mission field?

 Love and blessings,
Jessalynn

No comments:

Post a Comment